In the first half of the last century, residents of the Heights area of Jersey City were predominantly of German national origin. Pohlman’s Hall on Odgen Avenue was the center of the German cultural community. Up until the time of WWI, Liberty Avenue was named Germania Avenue. Due to concerns of sedition and sabotage, during both WWI and WW2 the U.S. Government monitored and limited assembly in the Heights area (including at St. Nicholas Church).by
Like Hudson County Facts On Facebook!
- In this environment people tended not to be judgmental
- There will be a reading from BLACK TOM on Sunday, March 11th at 1pm in the Blue Comet Auditorium at Liberty State Park.
- David Friedland writes: The Federal prison system allows Native American Indian prisoners to conduct appropriate religious ceremonies.
- Resolutions honoring Patrice Hannon and Ron Semple for their books on the Black Tom explosion
- Yet more proof that Jersey City is the world’s biggest small town!
- Depiro, Stephen Detention Memorandum
- Depiro, Stephen et al. Indictment
- GENOVESE ORGANIZED CRIME FAMILY SOLDIER AND ASSOCIATES INDICTED ON RACKETEERING CHARGES, INCLUDING EXTORTION OF INTERNATIONAL LONGSHOREMEN’S ASSOCIATION MEMBERS
- N.J. Waterfront Commission holds first hearing on mob influence at docks
- A federal judge sentenced Bonanno crime family Capo Joseph Sammartino Sr. to 18 months in prison for loansharking.
- 45 arrested in illegal Bergen County gambling ring
- Frankie DePaula, Boxer killed by the Mob – Book – Author – Stories
- Lucchese organized crime family and the Nine-Trey Gangster Bloods
- ‘Entirely too comfortable’ with the Jersey Mafia
- Fuel bootlegging, La Cosa Nostra and the Russian Mafia